Pinterest Princess

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day 22- Pancakes

Since I didn't post yesterday I have not one but two pancake recipes for all of you! In each of the following recipes I used 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce per egg because I didn't have eggs in my fridge...so you could do either.

Yesterday morning I decided to try a pancake recipe using sour cream. I love sour cream so I figured pancakes with sour cream were probably going to be pretty yummy, and they were! They reminded me of IHOP pancakes, James liked them too. Jordyn did not like them...but I am pretty sure her reasoning for not liking them was that she saw me put the lemon juice and sour cream in, kids...we will see if she likes them when I warm the leftovers up for her later.
James enjoying his pancakes

I added sprinkles too...I add sprinkles to most breakfasts'


Sour Cream Pancakes
1 1/2 cups flour
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt (I’m pretty sure regular table salt is fine, just use 1 tsp though)
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup + 1 tbsp milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or 2 eggs)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
butter

Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix only until combined. don’t overmix the batter, or your pancake will be chewy, dense and tough
Melt a tablespoon of butter on a large skillet over medium low heat until it bubbles (I dunno why you have to do this but I did because the directions said so, but after the first couple pancakes I used cooking spray)
Pour the pancake batter into the skillet and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbles appear on top and the bottom is nicely browned.
Flip them over and cook for another minute or so until its browned.
Serve and enjoy with your favorite pancake toppings :)

Pancake recipe number two! These pancakes are a different type pancake because they are square and you bake them in the oven...AKA no slaving over the stove while everyone else eats (that's a MAJOR plus in my book). These were delicious everyone loved them, and by everyone I mean my guinea pigs, my father-in-law, brother-in-laws, and sister-in-law...they were yummy. It probably helped that they were cinnamon roll pancakes with icing drizzled all over them. Sounding yummy yet?! They weren't too hard to make either. I will be making these again for sure! (And I am sorry I don't have a picture my camera is acting up and all the pictures are either white or blurry...)

Cinnamon Roll Pancake Squares

1 1/2 cups milk
4 T. melted butter
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or 2 large eggs)
2 T. sugar
2 cups flour
4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly grease an 11×17 inch jellyroll pan.
 In a large mixing bowl, beat together milk, butter and applesauce/egg.
Add sugar, then gradually beat the flour in.
Carefully stir in the baking powder and salt.
Pour batter into prepared pan.
Squeeze out Cinnamon Roll Filling over pancake batter (the woman did swirls but that was too difficult so I just did little dots all over the batter)
Bake in 350 degree oven for 11 minutes until center is set and does not give when pressed with your finger.
Remove from oven and drizzle with Maple Drizzle. Serve immediately.

Cinnamon Roll Filling
4 T. melted butter (Next time I will use 5 so maybe I can make swirls)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 T. cinnamon

In a small bowl mix filling ingredients together until blended well. Place in a pastry bag or plastic ziplock bag and snip corner to drop or swirl over pancake batter.

 Maple Drizzle
1 cup powdered sugar
2 T. good maple syrup
milk

Mix the first two ingredients in a bowl until smooth, dripping in small amounts of milk until mixture is a drizzling consistency.
Using a spoon or another utensil drizzle over the pancake.

Freezer Note- These can be sliced, placed on a cookie sheet and frozen. Once frozen, place in a freezer ziplock bag and freeze
Reheat in microwave

Sour Cream Pancakes recipe is from Obviously Omnivore
Cinnamon roll pancake recipe is from  Big Red Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment