Pinterest Princess

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 2- Laser Beams and Pot Pie Soup

I love doing new and fun things with Jordyn and James. Today I decided to make a spy training "laser beam" course for Jordyn to navigate through. It was so much fun she giggled and laughed going through it over and over again (I thought it was fun too). At her age however, she did not understand that if you touched the "laser" you were in trouble. When Jonathan came down (he works at night so he sleeps until the afternoon) he thought it was too easy and he just stepped over it and jumped the entire area. It is still taped up in our downstairs hallway and Jordyn has moved a few of the beams around to make it easier and more challenging.
And yes I know laser beams are normally red, but we are really girly and we decided pink was much better than red :)


I don't always make pinterest recipes for dinner but I do like trying new dishes. So, since I had some crock-pot chicken left I decided to make chicken pot pie soup. In typical Jessica style I did stray from the recipe and I added extra spices and left some things out to fit my liking! If you decide to make this you could really put any veggies in it you want and it would still be really yummy. I thought it was pretty delicious and it was a really easy recipe too. This recipe is even a weight watchers recipe!! The only thing I would do differently next time was add a little less thyme. In my opinion I thought the thyme was overpowering, but once I put the cheese on top it helped to balance out the thyme flavor.

RAVE REVIEWS:
Jordyn said, "this is so yummy mommy" (she usually likes what I cook or hates it)
Jennifer (one of my very best friends and her son Mason joined us), "This is really really good!"
James liked it too...he signed for more and more and more
Lindsey (my younger sister who is staying with us this summer) commented, "It's fine, it's good" (she is not a fan of all the veggies but she liked the green beans, potatoes, and chicken) 

This recipe is from skinnytaste.com

The way I made it :
1/4 cup flour
2 cups water 
4 cups fat free milk
1/2 medium chopped onion ( I probably put in more like 3/4 of an onion)
2 chicken bouillons
fresh ground pepper
pinch of thyme
12-14 oz frozen classic mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed small
16 oz cooked chicken breast, diced small ( I used crock-pot shredded chicken)
salt
seasoned salt
garlic powder
crazy mixed up salt (my favorite seasoning)

shredded cheese as an optional topping

Create a slurry by combining 1/2 cup of the cold water with flour in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended. Set aside.

Pour remaining water and milk into a large pot and slowly bring to a boil. Add onion, chicken bullion, thyme, garlic, seasoned salt, crazy mixed up salt, fresh pepper, frozen vegetables, potatoes and return to a boil. Partially cover and simmer on low until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove lid, Add chicken, and slowly whisk in slurry, stirring well as you add. Cook another 2-3 minutes, until soup thickens, adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve. And everything taste better with cheese so add some on top to finish of your dish!


The laser beam activity came from Chicken Babies the blog entry is a super spy Birthday party, she has some pretty cute ideas!





2 comments:

  1. That soup looks good and easy. I think it is a keeper for those cold fall and winter days... That I'm starting to get ready for I love all the ideas you've tried so far. They are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the laser beams, Jordyn looks like she is having tooo much fun, wish I were there, and I will try the recipe for daddy

    ReplyDelete